Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Getting past the muffins


I recently connected with Sarah, a classmate I met at graduate school. I had not seen her for a couple years and we decided after corresponding on Facebook, we should get together in person. For some weird reason this took a lot of courage for me…

We decided to meet at her place and figure out where to go from there.

I baked my Morning Glory Muffins that morning and thought she might enjoy some. I'm somewhat insecure about cooking for others but brought some along anyway.


Finding Sarah's house was not a huge challenge - even with my GPS loosing connection once or twice.

When I knocked on her door she greeted me but immediately declined the muffins saying she does not eat sugar or wheat…and promptly took them out to the porch and placed them on the floor for me to take away when I left.


This was a double whammy - hurt my ego and my confidence about my cooking - I almost left so I could cry all the way home. I did not. I stayed. We talked and instead of going out to eat as I suggested, Sarah decided she wanted to make some salads for us to enjoy in her delighful outdoor patio. The weather was perfect. The conversation was awkard for me, but as usual I tried to keep the conversation about her. She is a natural teacher and into holistic - body, mind and spirit care using art therapy as one of her tools to facilitate healing. Besides talking and learning about her practices, I watched as Sarah cooked. She used natural ingredients - no sugar or wheat. Watching, I learned how to make an awesome sweet potato salad and dang good avacado dip. The ripple effect went into motion. I made the salad and dip for hubby and me this weekend. He loved the dip. I amazed myself at how good I could cook -thanks to Sarah's example.

***

Getting past the muffins brought me delicious benefits and opened doors for new experiences-body, mind and spirit.

No comments: